DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9111 Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
Occupational Description:Operate or tend machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 3 - Arrowhead||170||37||$16.65/hr||$1.18/hr||$10.79/hr||$12.42/hr||$14.42/hr||$21.23/hr||$26.83/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Sewing Machine Operators||280||$10.31/hr||N/A|
|Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||210||$22.69/hr||N/A|
|Conveyor Operators and Tenders||140||$19.29/hr||N/A|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||80||$15.43/hr||N/A|
|Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||70||$14.24/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||40||$18.10/hr||N/A|
|Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||10||$13.67/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Tends or operates machine that packages product.
- Starts machine, by engaging controls.
- Stops or resets machine when malfunction occurs and clears machine jams.
- Regulates machine flow, speed, or temperature.
- Operates mechanism to cut filler product or packaging material.
- Adjusts machine tension and pressure and machine components according to size or processing angle of product.
- Removes finished packaged items from machine and separates rejected items.
- Observes machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Attaches identification labels to finished packaged items.
- Stacks finished packaged items or packs items in cartons or containers.
- Counts and records finished and rejected packaged items.
- Cleans, oils, and makes minor repairs to machinery and equipment.
- Secures finished packaged items by hand tying, sewing, or attaching fastener.
- Tests and evaluates product and verifies product weight or measurement to ensure quality standards.
- Stocks packaging material for machine processing.
- Stocks product for packaging or filling machine operation.
- Inspects and removes defective product and packaging material.