DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
25-2022 Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
Occupational Description:Teach students in one or more subjects in public or private schools at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable laws and regulations. Substitute teachers are included in "Teachers and Instructors, All Other" (25-3099). Excludes "Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School " (25-2023) and "Special Education Teachers" (25-2050).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education||1,610||$54,422/yr||N/A|
Tasks for Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
- Instructs students, using various teaching methods, such as lecture and demonstration.
- Confers with students, parents, and school counselors to resolve behavioral and academic problems.
- Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
- Keeps attendance records.
- Selects, stores, orders, issues, and inventories classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Performs advisory duties, such as sponsoring student organizations or clubs, helping students select courses, and counseling students with problems.
- Maintains discipline in classroom.
- Evaluates, records, and reports student progress.
- Develops and administers tests.
- Prepares course outlines and objectives according to curriculum guidelines or state and local requirements.
- Uses audiovisual aids and other materials to supplement presentations.
- Assigns lessons and corrects homework.