DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-1011 Art Directors
Occupational Description:Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches for visual communications media, such as print, broadcasting, and advertising. Direct workers engaged in art work or layout design.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Public Relations Specialists||60||$27.68/hr||N/A|
|Set and Exhibit Designers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Art Directors
- Assigns and directs staff members to develop design concepts into art layouts or prepare layouts for printing.
- Formulates basic layout design or presentation approach, and conceives material details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, and arrangement.
- Reviews and approves art and copy materials developed by staff, and proofs of printed copy.
- Reviews illustrative material and confers with client concerning objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
- Writes typography instructions, such as margin widths and type sizes, and submits for typesetting or printing.
- Draws custom illustrations for project.
- Marks up, pastes, and completes layouts to prepare for printing.
- Prepares detailed storyboard showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
- Presents final layouts to client for approval.
- Confers with creative, art, copy writing, or production department heads to discuss client requirements, outline presentation concepts, and coordinate creative activities.