DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-1031 Dietitians and Nutritionists
Occupational Description:Plan and conduct food service or nutritional programs to assist in the promotion of health and control of disease. May supervise activities of a department providing quantity food services, counsel individuals, or conduct nutritional research.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||30||3||$24.37/hr||$0.81/hr||$17.09/hr||$20.38/hr||$24.04/hr||$28.39/hr||$30.08/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Food Preparation and Serving Workers||540||$12.07/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Workers||10||$23.13/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Develops and implements dietary-care plans based on assessments of nutritional needs, diet restrictions, and other current health plans.
- Supervises activities of workers engaged in planning, preparing, and serving meals.
- Plans, conducts, and evaluates dietary, nutritional, and epidemiological research, and analyzes findings for practical applications.
- Evaluates nutritional care plans and provides follow-up on continuity of care.
- Confers with design, building, and equipment personnel to plan for construction and remodeling of food service units.
- Plans and prepares grant proposals to request program funding.
- Writes research reports and other publications to document and communicate research findings.
- Develops curriculum and prepares manuals, visual aids, course outlines, and other materials used in teaching.
- Inspects meals served for conformance to prescribed diets and standards of palatability and appearance.
- Plans, organizes, and conducts training programs in dietetics, nutrition, and institutional management and administration for medical students and hospital personnel.
- Consults with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions of patient or client.
- Instructs patients and their families in nutritional principles, dietary plans, and food selection and preparation.
- Monitors food service operations and ensures conformance to nutritional and quality standards.