DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
39-2021 Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
Occupational Description:Feed, water, groom, bathe, exercise, or otherwise care for pets and other nonfarm animals, such as dogs, cats, ornamental fish or birds, zoo animals, and mice. Work in settings such as kennels, animal shelters, zoos, circuses, and aquariums. May keep records of feedings, treatments, and animals received or discharged. May clean, disinfect, and repair cages, pens, or fish tanks. Excludes "Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers" (31-9096).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||60||11||$9.99/hr||$0.63/hr||$7.78/hr||$8.27/hr||$9.08/hr||$11.17/hr||$14.26/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Agricultural and Food Science Technicians||100||$13.80/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Feeds and waters animal according to schedules and feeding instructions.
- Repairs fences, cages or pens.
- Installs equipment in animal care facility, such as infrared lights, feeding devices, or cribs.
- Observes and cautions children petting and feeding animals in designated area.
- Responds to questions from patrons and provides information about animals, such as behavior, habitat, breeding habits, or facility activities.
- Saddles and shoes animals.
- Orders, unloads, and stores feed and supplies.
- Records information about animals, such as weight, size, physical condition, diet, medications, and food intake.
- Transfers animals between enclosures for breeding, birthing, shipping, or rearranging exhibits.
- Anesthetizes and inoculates animals, according to instructions.
- Cleans and disinfects animal quarters, such as pens, stables, cages, and yards, and surgical or other equipment, such as saddles and bridles.
- Washes, brushes, clips, trims, and grooms animals.
- Exercises animals to maintain their fitness and health, or trains animals to perform certain tasks.
- Adjusts controls to regulate specified temperature and humidity of animal quarters, nursery, or exhibit area.
- Mixes food, liquid formulas, medications, or food supplements according to instructions, prescriptions, and knowledge of animal species.
- Examines and observes animals for signs of illness, disease, or injury and provides treatment or informs veterinarian.