DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2021 Brickmasons and Blockmasons
Occupational Description:Lay and bind building materials, such as brick, structural tile, concrete block, cinder block, glass block, and terra-cotta block, with mortar and other substances to construct or repair walls, partitions, arches, sewers, and other structures. Excludes “Stonemasons" (47-2022). Installers of mortarless segmental concrete masonry wall units are classified in "Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers" (37-3011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||70||21||$31.52/hr||$1.55/hr||$25.48/hr||$29.68/hr||$32.17/hr||$34.67/hr||$36.16/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
Tasks for Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Lays and aligns bricks, blocks, or tiles to build or repair structures or high temperature equipment, such as cupola, kilns, ovens, or furnaces.
- Applies and smoothes mortar or other mixture over work surface and removes excess, using trowel and hand tools.
- Measures distance from reference points and marks guidelines to lay out work, using plumb bobs and levels.
- Examines brickwork or structure to determine need for repair.
- Fastens or fuses brick or other building material to structure with wire clamps, anchor holes, torch, or cement.
- Cleans working surface to remove scale, dust, soot, or chips of brick and mortar, using broom, wire brush, or scrapper.
- Sprays or spreads refractory material over brickwork to protect against deterioration.
- Removes burned or damaged brick or mortar, using sledgehammer, crowbar, chipping gun, or chisel.
- Breaks or cuts bricks, tiles, or blocks to size, using edge of trowel, hammer, or power saw.
- Mixes specified amount of sand, clay, dirt, or mortar powder with water to form refractory mixture.
- Calculates angles and courses and determines vertical and horizontal alignment of courses.