DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-1031 First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
Occupational Description:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators and helpers.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 4 - West Central||120||27||$21.76/hr||$0.69/hr||$15.34/hr||$18.65/hr||$21.41/hr||$25.15/hr||$28.79/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Industrial Production Managers||160||$37.86/hr||N/A|
|Postmasters and Mail Superintendents||70||$27.59/hr||N/A|
|Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products||40||$23.59/hr||N/A|
|Transportation, Storage, and Distribution Managers||30||$28.41/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand||N/A||$21.23/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||N/A||$18.97/hr||N/A|
Tasks for First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Reviews orders, production schedules, and shipping/receiving notices to determine work sequence and material shipping dates, type, volume, and destinations.
- Computes and estimates cash, payroll, transportation, personnel, and storage requirements, using calculator.
- Recommends and implements measures to improve worker motivation, equipment performance, work methods, and customer services.
- Inspects or tests materials, stock, vehicles, equipment, and facilities to locate defects, meet maintenance or production specifications, and verify safety standards.
- Prepares, compiles, and submits reports on work activities, operations, production, and work related accidents.
- Drives vehicles or operates machines or equipment.
- Examines, measures, and weighs cargo or materials to determine specific handling requirements.
- Repairs or schedules repair and preventive maintenance of vehicles and other equipment.
- Assists workers in performing tasks, such as coupling railroad cars or loading vehicles.
- Confers with customers, supervisors, contractors, and other personnel to exchange information and resolve problems.
- Receives telephone or radio reports of emergencies and dispatches personnel and vehicle in response to request.
- Recommends or implements personnel actions, such as hiring, firing, and performance evaluations.
- Interprets transportation and tariff regulations, shipping orders, safety regulations, and company policies and procedures for workers.
- Requisitions needed personnel, supplies, equipment, parts, or repair services.
- Resolves worker problems or assists workers in solving problems.
- Directs workers in transportation or related services, such as pumping, moving, storing, and loading/unloading of materials or people.
- Plans and establishes transportation routes, work schedules, and assignments and allocates equipment to meet transportation, operations, or production goals.
- Explains and demonstrates work tasks to new workers or assigns workers to experienced workers for further training.
- Maintains or verifies time, transportation, financial, inventory and personnel records