DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-3031 Public Relations Specialists
Occupational Description:Engage in promoting or creating an intended public image for individuals, groups, or organizations. May write or select material for release to various communications media.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||40||3||$23.22/hr||$0.85/hr||$15.28/hr||$18.56/hr||$22.25/hr||$29.21/hr||$33.11/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products||380||$24.12/hr||N/A|
|Advertising Sales Agents||60||$14.21/hr||N/A|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products||40||$27.56/hr||N/A|
|Real Estate Sales Agents||30||$32.54/hr||N/A|
|Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products||20||$29.77/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Public Relations Specialists
- Plans and directs development and communication of informational programs designed to keep public informed of client's products, accomplishments, or agenda.
- Prepares and distributes fact sheets, news releases, photographs, scripts, motion pictures, or tape recordings to media representatives and others.
- Promotes sales and/or creates goodwill for client's products, services, or persona by coordinating exhibits, lectures, contests, or public appearances.
- Prepares or edits organizational publications, such as newsletters to employees or public or stockholders' reports to favorably present client's viewpoint.
- Consults with advertising agencies or staff to arrange promotional campaigns in all types of media for products, organizations, or individuals.
- Arranges for and conducts public-contact programs designed to meet client's objectives.
- Represents client during community projects and at public, social, and business gatherings.
- Confers with production and support personnel to coordinate production of advertisements and promotions.
- Purchases advertising space and time as required to promote client's product or agenda.
- Counsels clients in effective ways of communicating with public.
- Conducts market and public opinion research to introduce or test specific products or measure public opinion.
- Studies needs, objectives, and policies of organization or individual seeking to influence public opinion or promote specific products.