DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
31-9091 Dental Assistants
Occupational Description:Assist dentist, set up equipment, prepare patient for treatment, and keep records.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||170||38||$18.69/hr||$0.70/hr||$15.05/hr||$15.93/hr||$17.78/hr||$21.01/hr||$24.46/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Radiologic Technologists and Technicians||140||$25.11/hr||N/A|
|Nonfarm Animal Caretakers||40||$8.68/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Dental Assistants
- Prepares patient, sterilizes and disinfects instruments, sets up instrument trays, prepares materials, and assists dentist during dental procedures.
- Takes and records medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
- Assists dentist in management of medical and dental emergencies.
- Records treatment information in patient records.
- Provides postoperative instructions prescribed by dentist.
- Pours, trims, and polishes study casts.
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Cleans teeth, using dental instruments.
- Fabricates temporary restorations and custom impressions from preliminary impressions.
- Schedules appointments, prepares bills and receives payment for dental services, completes insurance forms, and maintains records, manually or using computer.
- Cleans and polishes removable appliances.
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
- Applies protective coating of fluoride to teeth.
- Exposes dental diagnostic x-rays.