DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-2011 Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
Occupational Description:Operate telephone business systems equipment or switchboards to relay incoming, outgoing, and interoffice calls. May supply information to callers and record messages.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||50||14||$11.98/hr||$0.37/hr||$9.89/hr||$10.80/hr||$12.14/hr||$13.45/hr||$14.39/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||520||$12.32/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||230||$15.83/hr||N/A|
|Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan||80||$15.74/hr||N/A|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||60||$21.14/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||N/A||$15.43/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Operates communication system, such as telephone, switchboard, intercom, two-way radio, or public address.
- Places telephone calls as instructed.
- Greets caller, furnishes information to caller or visitor, and relays calls.
- Relays and routes messages.
- Keeps records of calls placed and charges incurred, if any.
- Date stamps and files messages.
- Receives visitors and obtains name and nature of business.
- Performs clerical duties, such as typing, proofreading, accepting orders, scheduling appointments, and sorting mail.
- Records messages, suggesting rewording for clarity and conciseness.