DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5071 Shipping, Receiving, and Traffic Clerks
Occupational Description:Verify and maintain records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, stamping, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products. Excludes "Stock Clerks and Order Fillers" (43-5081) and "Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping" (43-5111).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||N/A||N/A||$15.69/hr||$0.96/hr||$10.02/hr||$11.26/hr||$14.89/hr||$19.52/hr||$22.78/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||810||$10.18/hr||N/A|
|Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service||80||$13.80/hr||N/A|
|Production, Planning, and Expediting Clerks||70||$19.53/hr||N/A|
|Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping||30||$12.32/hr||N/A|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||20||$18.29/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Shipping, Receiving, and Traffic Clerks
- Examines contents and compares with records, such as manifests, invoices, or orders, to verify accuracy of incoming or outgoing shipment.
- Records shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, and damages and discrepancies, for reporting, accounting, and record-keeping purposes.
- Determines shipping method for materials, using knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates.
- Contacts carrier representative to make arrangements and to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials.
- Confers and corresponds with establishment representatives to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, and nonconformance to specifications.
- Requisitions and stores shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
- Delivers or routes materials to departments, using work devices, such as handtruck, conveyor, or sorting bins.
- Computes amounts, such as space available, and shipping, storage, and demurrage charges, using calculator or price list.
- Prepares documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, and shipping orders to route materials.
- Packs, seals, labels, and affixes postage to prepare materials for shipping, using work devices such as hand tools, power tools, and postage meter.