DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3023 Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
Occupational Description:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul automotive vehicles. Excludes ďAutomotive Body and Related Repairers" (49-3021), "Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists" (49-3031), and "Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles" (49-2096).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||200||40||$15.55/hr||$0.82/hr||$11.28/hr||$12.61/hr||$14.59/hr||$18.25/hr||$21.53/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers||250||$16.53/hr||N/A|
|Industrial Machinery Mechanics||80||$23.05/hr||N/A|
|Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians||10||$20.37/hr||N/A|
|Engine and Other Machine Assemblers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
- Repairs and overhauls defective automotive units, such as engines, transmissions, or differentials.
- Repairs or replaces parts, such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings.
- Overhauls or replaces carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starts, and pumps.
- Repairs manual and automatic transmissions.
- Installs and repairs accessories, such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers.
- Replaces and adjusts headlights.
- Aligns front end.
- Repairs damaged automobile bodies.
- Rebuilds parts, such as crankshafts and cylinder blocks.
- Examines vehicles and discusses extent of damage or malfunction with customer.
- Repairs radiator leaks.
- Repairs or replaces shock absorbers.
- Rewires ignition system, lights, and instrument panel.
- Repairs, relines, replaces, and adjusts brakes.
- Repairs, installs, and adjusts hydraulic and electromagnetic automatic lift mechanisms used to raise and lower automobile windows, seats, and tops.
- Rebuilds, repairs, and tests automotive injection units.
- Aligns and repairs wheels, axles, frames, torsion bars, and steering mechanisms of automobiles.
- Converts vehicle fuel systems from gasoline to butane gas operations and repairs and services operating butane fuel units.
- Examines vehicle, compiles estimate of repair costs, and secures customer approval to perform repairs.
- Tunes automobile engines and tests electronic computer components.
- Inspects, tests, repairs, and replaces automotive cooling systems and fuel tanks.
- Inspects and tests new vehicles for damage, records findings, and makes repairs.
- Repairs and replaces defective balljoint suspension, brakeshoes, and wheelbearings.
- Repairs, replaces, and adjusts defective carburetor parts and gasoline filters.
- Installs and repairs automotive air-conditioning units.
- Removes and replaces defective mufflers and tailpipes from automobiles.
- Repairs and aligns defective wheels of automobiles.
- Repairs, overhauls, and adjusts automobile brake systems.
- Repairs and rebuilds clutch systems.
- Repairs and replaces automobile leaf springs.