DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-6011 Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
Occupational Description:Operate or tend washing or dry-cleaning machines to wash or dry-clean industrial or household articles, such as cloth garments, suede, leather, furs, blankets, draperies, linens, rugs, and carpets. Includes spotters and dyers of these articles.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||90||11||$10.54/hr||$0.31/hr||$8.13/hr||$9.03/hr||$10.39/hr||$11.87/hr||$13.74/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||70||$12.90/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||60||$12.32/hr||N/A|
|Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||60||$11.50/hr||N/A|
|Painting, Coating, and Decorating Workers||50||$13.03/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Cleans machine filters and lubricates equipment.
- Starts pumps to operate distilling system that drains and reclaims dry cleaning solvents.
- Loads or directs other workers to load articles into washer or dry cleaning machine.
- Mixes and adds detergents, dyes, bleach, starch, and other solutions and chemicals to clean, color, dry, or stiffen articles.
- Inspects spots to ascertain composition and select solvent.
- Sprays steam, water, or air over spot to flush out chemicals, dry material, raise nap, or brighten color.
- Mixes bleaching agent with hot water in vats and soaks material until it is bleached.
- Cleans fabric using vacuum or airhose.
- Operates drycleaning machine.
- Spreads article on worktable and positions stain over vacuum head or on marble slab.
- Applies chemicals to neutralize effect of solvents.
- Sprinkles chemical solvents over stain and pats area with brush or sponge until stain is removed.
- Applies bleaching powder to spot, and sprays with steam to remove stains from certain fabrics which do not respond to other cleaning solvents.
- Matches sample color, applying knowledge of bleaching agent and dye properties, and type, construction, condition, and color of article.
- Immerses article in dye solution and stirs with stick, or dyes article in rotary-drum or paddle dyeing machine.
- Rinses article in water and acetic acid solution to remove excess dye and to fix colors.
- Applies dye to article, using spray gun, electrically rotated brush, or handbrush.
- Operates or directs operation of extractor and drier.
- Sprays or brushes article with prepared solution to remove stains.
- Dissolves dye or bleaching chemicals in water.
- Measures and mixes amounts of bleaches, dyes, oils, and acids, following formulas.
- Immerses article in bleaching bath to strip colors.
- Examines article to identify fabric and original dye by sight, touch, or by testing sample with fire or chemical reagent.
- Tests dye on swatch of fabric, to ensure color match.
- Starts washer, dry cleaner, drier, or extractor, and turns valves or levers to regulate and monitor cleaning or drying operations.
- Tends variety of automatic machines that comb and polish furs; clean, sterilize, and fluff feathers and blankets; and roll and package towels.
- Removes or directs other workers to remove items from washer or dry cleaning machine and into extractor or tumbler.
- Adjusts switches to tend and regulate equipment that fumigates and removes foreign matter from furs.
- Mends and sews articles, using hand stitching, adhesive patch, or power sewing machine.
- Hangs curtains, drapes, blankets, pants, and other garments on stretch frames to dry, and transports items between specified locations.
- Irons or presses articles, fabrics, and furs, using hand iron or pressing machine.
- Receives and marks articles for laundry or dry cleaning with identifying code number or name, using hand or machine marker.
- Sorts and counts articles removed from dryer and folds, wraps, or hangs items for airing out, pickup, or delivery.
- Examines and sorts articles to be cleaned into lots, according to color, fabric, dirt content, and cleaning technique required.
- Pre-soaks, sterilizes, scrubs, spot-cleans, and dries contaminated or stained articles, using neutralizer solutions and portable machines.
- Washes, dry cleans, or glazes delicate articles or fur garment linings by hand, using mild detergent or dry cleaning solutions.