DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-8031 Water and Liquid Waste Treatment Plant and System Operators
Occupational Description:Operate or control an entire process or system of machines, often through the use of control boards, to transfer or treat water or wastewater.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||110||22||$22.52/hr||$1.43/hr||$17.12/hr||$19.81/hr||$22.33/hr||$26.19/hr||$28.51/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Maintenance Workers, Machinery||80||$15.58/hr||N/A|
|Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Gas Plant Operators||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Water and Liquid Waste Treatment Plant and System Operators
- Operates and adjusts controls on equipment to purify and clarify water, process or dispose of sewage, and generate power.
- Records operational data, personnel attendance, and meter and gauge readings on specified forms.
- Maintains, repairs, and lubricates equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Cleans and maintains tanks and filter beds, using hand tools and power tools.
- Directs and coordinates plant workers engaged in routine operations and maintenance activities.
- Collects and tests water and sewage samples, using test equipment and color analysis standards.
- Inspects equipment and monitors operating conditions, meters, and gauges to determine load requirements and detect malfunctions.
- Adds chemicals, such as ammonia, chlorine, and lime, to disinfect and deodorize water and other liquids.