DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
33-9032 Security Guards
Occupational Description:Guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules. May operate x-ray and metal detector equipment. Excludes “Transportation Security Screeners” (33-9093).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 6E- Southwest Central||120||11||$12.83/hr||$1.11/hr||$9.81/hr||$10.39/hr||$11.37/hr||$13.90/hr||$20.50/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Bus Drivers, School||420||$14.09/hr||N/A|
|Truck Drivers, Light or Delivery Services||250||$11.75/hr||N/A|
|Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers||170||$21.15/hr||N/A|
|Correctional Officers and Jailers||100||$18.82/hr||N/A|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||10||$28.56/hr||N/A|
|Fire Inspectors and Investigators||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Security Guards
- Patrols industrial and commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
- Warns persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehends or evicts violators from premises, using force when necessary.
- Calls police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Operates detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Answers telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information during non- business hours or when switchboard is closed.
- Escorts or drives motor vehicle to transport individuals to specified locations and to provide personal protection.
- Monitors and adjusts controls that regulate building systems, such as air conditioning, furnace, or boiler.
- Writes reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
- Drives and guards armored vehicle to transport money and valuables to prevent theft and ensure safe delivery.
- Circulates among visitors, patrons, and employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Answers alarms and investigates disturbances.
- Monitors and authorizes entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Inspects and adjusts security systems, equipment, and machinery to ensure operational use and to detect evidence of tampering.