DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-9061 Office Clerks, General
Occupational Description:Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring knowledge of office systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 6E- Southwest Central||940||47||$12.86/hr||$0.20/hr||$9.09/hr||$10.56/hr||$12.56/hr||$14.73/hr||$17.61/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||360||$13.98/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||240||$15.07/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||190||$16.25/hr||N/A|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||90||$15.79/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||10||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Office Clerks, General
- Compiles, copies, sorts, and files records of office activities, business transactions, and other activities.
- Operates office machines, such as photocopier, telecopier, and personal computer.
- Stuffs envelopes and addresses, stamps, sorts, and distributes mail, packages, and other materials.
- Orders materials, supplies, and services, and completes records and reports.
- Transcribes dictation and composes and types letters and other correspondence, using typewriter or computer.
- Communicates with customers, employees, and other individuals to disseminate or explain information.
- Collects, counts, and disburses money, completes banking transactions, and processes payroll.
- Completes work schedules and arranges appointments for staff and students.
- Reviews files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests.
- Answers telephone, responds to requests, delivers messages, and runs errands.
- Completes and mails bills, contracts, policies, invoices, or checks.
- Computes, records, and proofreads data and other information, such as records or reports.