DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-3013 Mechanical Drafters
Occupational Description:Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 6W- Upper Minnesota Valley||20||5||$22.23/hr||$1.87/hr||$14.72/hr||$18.40/hr||$21.38/hr||$24.25/hr||$32.93/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers||70||$9.72/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technicians||20||$18.57/hr||N/A|
|Model Makers, Metal and Plastic||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Mechanical Drafters
- Develops detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies/tools, and controls, according to engineering sketches and design proposals.
- Draws freehand sketches of designs and traces finished drawings onto designated paper for reproduction of blueprints.
- Shades or colors drawings to clarify and emphasize details and dimensions and eliminate background, using ink, crayon, airbrush, and overlays.
- Reviews and analyzes specifications, sketches, engineering drawings, ideas, and related design data to determine factors affecting component designs.
- Positions instructions and comments onto drawings and illustrates and describes installation and maintenance details.
- Directs work activities of detailer and confers with staff and supervisors to resolve design or other problems.
- Coordinates and works in conjunction with other workers to design, layout, or detail components and systems.
- Confers with customer representatives to review schematics and answer questions pertaining to installation of systems.
- Compiles and analyzes test data to determine effect of machine design on various factors, such as temperature and pressure.
- Measures machine set-up and parts during production to ensure compliance with design specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Observes set-up and gauges during programmed machine or equipment trial run to verify conformance of signals and systems to specifications.
- Modifies and revises designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Computes mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Lays out, draws, and reproduces illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Designs scale or full size blueprints of specialty items, such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
- Lays out and draws schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.