DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-4171 Receptionists and Information Clerks
Occupational Description:Answer inquiries and provide information to the general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties regarding activities conducted at establishment and location of departments, offices, and employees within the organization. Excludes "Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service" (43-2011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 6W- Upper Minnesota Valley||110||11||$12.21/hr||$0.33/hr||$9.02/hr||$10.48/hr||$12.35/hr||$14.00/hr||$15.12/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||360||$12.74/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||150||$15.16/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||40||$15.99/hr||N/A|
|Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Greets persons entering establishment, determines nature and purpose of visit, and directs visitor to specific destination, or answers questions and provides information.
- Registers visitors of public facility, such as national park or military base, collects fees, explains regulations, and assigns sites.
- Analyzes data to determine answer to customer or public inquiry.
- Transmits information or documents to customer, using computer, mail, or facsimile.
- Operates telephone switchboard to receive incoming calls.
- Performs duties such as taking care of plants and straightening magazines to maintain lobby or reception area.
- Monitors facility to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Receives payment and records receipts for services.
- Conducts tours or delivers talks describing features of public facility, such as historic site or national park.
- Hears and resolves complaints from customers and public.
- Files and maintains records.
- Enrolls individuals to participate in programs, prepares lists, and notifies individuals of acceptance in programs, and arranges and schedules space and equipment for participants.
- Types memos, correspondence, travel vouchers, or other documents.
- Calculates and quotes rates for tours, stocks, insurance policies, and other products and services.
- Collects and distributes messages for employees of organization.
- Records, compiles, enters, and retrieves information, by hand or using computer.
- Provides information to public concerning available land leases, land classification, or mineral resources.
- Provides information to public regarding tours, classes, workshops, and other programs.
- Answers telephone to schedule future appointments, provide information, or forward call.