DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Mix and bake ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods. Pastry chefs in restaurants and hotels are included with "Chefs and Head Cooks" (35-1011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||90||$9.82/hr||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Cooks, Fast Food||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Etchers and Engravers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Bakers
- Weighs and measures ingredients, using measuring cups and spoons.
- Mixes and cooks pie fillings, and pours fillings into pie shells and tops filling with meringue or cream.
- Spreads or sprinkles toppings on loaves or specialties and places dough in oven, using long-handled paddle (peel).
- Mixes ingredients to make icings, decorates cakes and pastries, and blends colors for icings, shaped ornaments, and statuaries.
- Cuts, peels, and prepares fruit for pie fillings.
- Covers filling with top crust; places pies in oven; and adjust drafts or thermostatic controls to regulate oven temperatures.
- Checks production schedule to determine variety and quantity of goods to bake.
- Molds dough in desired shapes, places dough in greased or floured pans, and trims overlapping edges with knife.
- Mixes ingredients to form dough or batter by hand or using electric mixer.
- Rolls and shapes dough, using rolling pin and cuts dough in uniform portions with knife, divider, cookie cutter.
- Measures flour and other ingredients to prepare batters, dough, fillings, and icings, using scale and graduated containers.
- Observes color of products being baked and adjusts oven temperature.
- Applies glace, icing, or other topping to baked goods, using spatula or brush.
- Develops new recipes for cakes and icings.
- Rolls, cuts, and shapes dough to form sweet rolls, pie crusts, tarts, cookies, and related products prior to baking.
- Dumps ingredients into mixing-machine bowl or steam kettle to mix or cook ingredients according to specific instructions.
- Places dough in pans, molds, or on sheets, and bakes dough in oven or on grill.
- Decorates cakes.