DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
21-1012 Educational, Vocational, and School Counselors
Occupational Description:Counsel individuals and provide group educational and vocational guidance services.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7E- East Central||80||25||$22.21/hr||$0.96/hr||$13.64/hr||$17.82/hr||$22.23/hr||$27.03/hr||$30.08/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||130||$26.43/hr||N/A|
|Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists||30||$26.04/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Educational, Vocational, and School Counselors
- Advises counselees to assist them in developing their educational and vocational objectives.
- Conducts follow-up interviews with counselees and maintains case records.
- Refers qualified counselees to employer or employment service for placement.
- Addresses community groups and faculty members to explain counseling services.
- Teaches vocational and educational guidance classes.
- Plans and conducts orientation programs and group conferences to promote adjustment of individuals to new life experiences.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with employers and personnel from supportive service agencies to develop opportunities for counselees.
- Advises counselees to assist them in understanding and overcoming personal and social problems.
- Collects and evaluates information about counselees' abilities, interests, and personality characteristics, using records, tests, and interviews.
- Compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist counselees in making and carrying out vocational and educational objectives.
- Interprets program regulations or benefit requirements and assists counselees in obtaining needed supportive services.