DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
25-2021 Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
Occupational Description:Teach students basic academic, social, and other formative skills in public or private schools at the elementary level. Substitute teachers are included in "Teachers and Instructors, All Other" (25-3099). Excludes "Special Education Teachers" (25-2050).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7E- East Central||710||130||$48,407/yr||$1,292/yr||$32,975/yr||$39,777/yr||$49,821/yr||$57,512/yr||$62,804/yr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||60||$19.92/hr||N/A|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||N/A||$51,377/yr||N/A|
Tasks for Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Lectures, demonstrates, and uses audiovisual aids and computers to present academic, social, and motor skill subject matter to class.
- Prepares course objectives and outline for course of study, following curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school.
- Assigns lessons, corrects papers, and hears oral presentations.
- Evaluates student performance and discusses pupil academic and behavioral attitudes and achievements with parents.
- Teaches rules of conduct and maintains discipline and suitable learning environment in classroom and on playground.
- Prepares bulletin boards.
- Coordinates class field trips.
- Attends staff meetings, serves on committees, and attends workshops or in-service training activities.
- Teaches combined grade classes.
- Supervises outdoor and indoor play activities.
- Counsels pupils when adjustment and academic problems arise.
- Keeps attendance and grade records and prepares reports as required by school.
- Prepares, administers, and corrects tests, and records results.
- Teaches subjects, such as math, science, or social studies.