DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
35-3031 Waiters and Waitresses
Occupational Description:Take orders and serve food and beverages to patrons at tables in dining establishment. Excludes "Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop" (35-3022).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7E- East Central||950||223||$8.89/hr||$0.40/hr||$7.73/hr||$8.13/hr||$8.78/hr||$9.45/hr||$11.14/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food||1,170||$8.65/hr||N/A|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||430||$10.35/hr||N/A|
|Food Preparation Workers||200||$10.94/hr||N/A|
|Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||N/A||$8.94/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Waiters and Waitresses
- Takes order from patron for food or beverage, writing order down or memorizing it.
- Serves meals or beverages to patrons.
- Relays order to kitchen, or enters order into computer.
- Observes patrons to respond to additional requests, and to determine when meal has been completed or beverage consumed.
- Obtains and replenishes supplies of food, tableware, and linen.
- Computes cost of meal or beverage.
- Removes dishes and glasses from table or counter and takes them to kitchen for cleaning.
- Accepts payment and returns change, or refers patron to Cashier.
- Fills salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiment, and napkin containers.
- Prepares salads, appetizers, and cold dishes, portions desserts, brews coffee, and performs other services as determined by establishment's size and practices.
- Carves meats, bones fish and fowl, and prepares special dishes and desserts at work station or patron's table.
- Cleans and arranges assigned station, including side stands, chairs, and table pieces, such as linen, silverware, and glassware.
- Garnishes and decorates dishes preparatory to serving.
- Prepares hot, cold, and mixed drinks for patrons, and chills bottles of wine.
- Serves, or assists patrons to serve themselves, at buffet or smorgasbord table.
- Presents menu to patron, suggests food or beverage selections, and answers questions regarding preparation and service.