DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-3041 Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs
Occupational Description:Drive automobiles, vans, or limousines to transport passengers. May occasionally carry cargo. Includes hearse drivers. Excludes ďAmbulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians" (53-3011) and "Bus Drivers" (53-3020).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7E- East Central||50||8||$15.50/hr||$1.05/hr||$9.79/hr||$12.31/hr||$14.59/hr||$17.51/hr||$25.55/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Bus Drivers, School||240||$20.52/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs
- Drives taxicab, limousine, company car, hearse, or privately owned vehicle to transport passengers.
- Communicates with taxicab dispatcher by radio or telephone to receive requests for passenger service.
- Collects and documents fees, payments, and deposits determined by rental contracts or taximeter recordings.
- Assists passengers to enter and exit vehicle, assists with luggage, and holds umbrellas in wet weather.
- Maintains vehicle by performing such duties as regulating tire pressure and adding gasoline, oil, and water.
- Delivers automobiles to customers from rental agency, car dealership, or repair shop.
- Tests performance of vehicle accessories, such as lights, horn, and windshield wipers.
- Performs errands for customers, such as carrying mail to and from post office.
- Vacuums, sweeps, and cleans interior, and washes and polishes exterior of automobile.
- Makes minor repairs on vehicle, such as fixing punctures, cleaning spark plugs, or adjusting carburetor.