DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-3027 Mechanical Engineering Technicians
Occupational Description:Apply theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or calibrate machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||N/A||N/A||$22.50/hr||$1.12/hr||$19.42/hr||$20.35/hr||$21.91/hr||$23.46/hr||$28.05/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers||670||$16.69/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Mechanical Engineering Technicians
- Reviews project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, objectives, and tests nature of technical problems, such as redesign.
- Tests equipment, using test devices attached to generator, voltage regulator, or other electrical parts, such as generators or spark plugs.
- Analyzes tests results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives and modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications.
- Estimates cost factors, including labor and material for purchased and fabricated parts and costs for assembly, testing, and installing.
- Inspects lines and figures for clarity and returns erroneous drawings to designer for correction.
- Prepares parts sketches and writes work orders and purchase requests to be furnished by outside contractors.
- Reads dials and meters to determine amperage, voltage, electrical out and input at specific operating temperature to analyze parts performance.
- Operates drill press, grinders, engine lathe, or other machines to modify parts tested or to fabricate experimental parts for testing.
- Evaluates tool drawing designs by measuring drawing dimensions and comparing with original specifications for form and function, using engineering skills.
- Confers with technicians and submits reports of test results to engineering department and recommends design or material changes.
- Records test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and recommendations for changes in product or test methods.
- Drafts detail drawing or sketch for drafting room completion or to request parts fabrication by machine, sheet or wood shops.
- Calculates required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submits data to engineering personnel for approval.
- Discusses changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with staff and coordinates corrections.
- Reviews project instructions and specifications to identify, modify and plan requirements fabrication, assembly and testing.
- Sets up prototype and test apparatus and operates test controlling equipment to observe and record prototype test results.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
- Devises, fabricates, and assembles new or modified mechanical components for products, such as industrial machinery or equipment, and measuring instruments.