DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
21-1014 Mental Health Counselors
Occupational Description:Counsel with emphasis on prevention. Work with individuals and groups to promote optimum mental and emotional health. May help individuals deal with issues associated with addictions and substance abuse; family, parenting, and marital problems; stress management; self-esteem; and aging. Excludes ôSocial Workers" (21-1021 through 21-1029), "Psychiatrists" (29-1066), and "Psychologists" (19-3031 through 19-3039).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||N/A||N/A||$33.21/hr||$1.31/hr||$22.64/hr||$29.52/hr||$34.11/hr||$39.19/hr||$43.20/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Social and Human Service Assistants||810||$13.53/hr||N/A|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||430||$25.90/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Mental Health Counselors
- Counsels clients and patients, individually and in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, and making changes.
- Interviews clients, reviews records, and confers with other professionals to evaluate mental or physical condition of client or patient.
- Modifies treatment plan to comply with changes in client's status.
- Intervenes as advocate for client or patient to resolve emergency problems in crisis situation.
- Supervises and directs other workers providing services to client or patient.
- Plans and conducts programs to prevent substance abuse or improve health and counseling services in community.
- Monitors, evaluates, and records client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan.
- Formulates or coordinates program plan for treatment, care, and rehabilitation of client or patient, based on social work experience and knowledge.
- Counsels family members to assist in understanding, dealing with, and supporting client or patient.
- Refers patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness.