DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Represent clients in criminal and civil litigation and other legal proceedings, draw up legal documents, or manage or advise clients on legal transactions. May specialize in a single area or may practice broadly in many areas of law.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||230||28||$55.74/hr||$5.33/hr||$27.70/hr||$35.77/hr||$45.61/hr||$69.18/hr||>$80.00/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||150||$29.98/hr||N/A|
|Paralegals and Legal Assistants||130||$21.15/hr||N/A|
|Claims Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators||70||$37.77/hr||N/A|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||50||$31.71/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Lawyers
- Conducts case, examining and cross examining witnesses, and summarizes case to judge or jury.
- Gathers evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions.
- Advises clients concerning business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending law suits, or legal rights and obligations.
- Interviews clients and witnesses to ascertain facts of case.
- Examines legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit.
- Studies Constitution, statutes, decisions, regulations, and ordinances of quasi-judicial bodies.
- Evaluates findings and develops strategy and arguments in preparation for presentation of case.
- Represents client in court or before government agency.
- Searches for and examines public and other legal records to write opinions or establish ownership.
- Acts as agent, trustee, guardian, or executor for business or individuals.
- Probates wills and represents and advises executors and administrators of estates.
- Prepares opinions on legal issues.
- Prepares and drafts legal documents, such as wills, deeds, patent applications, mortgages, leases, and contracts.
- Prepares and files legal briefs.
- Interprets laws, rulings and regulations for individuals and business.
- Presents evidence to defend client in civil or criminal litigation.
- Presents evidence to prosecute defendant in civil or criminal litigation.
- Confers with colleagues with specialty in area of legal issue to establish and verify basis for legal proceeding.