DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
41-2031 Retail Salespersons
Occupational Description:Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, appliances, or apparel to consumers. Excludes "Cashiers" (41-2011).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||6,020||653||$11.38/hr||$0.39/hr||$7.97/hr||$8.62/hr||$9.77/hr||$12.14/hr||$17.16/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Customer Service Representatives||2,520||$13.08/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||470||$9.55/hr||N/A|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products||90||$36.74/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Retail Salespersons
- Prepares sales slip or sales contract.
- Sells or arranges for delivery, insurance, financing, or service contracts for merchandise.
- Computes sales price of merchandise.
- Describes merchandise and explains use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
- Totals purchases, receives payment, makes change, or processes credit transaction.
- Demonstrates use or operation of merchandise.
- Recommends, selects, and obtains merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Cleans shelves, counters, and tables.
- Requisitions new stock.
- Inventories stock.
- Rents merchandise to customers.
- Wraps merchandise.
- Estimates cost of repair or alteration of merchandise.
- Estimates and quotes trade-in allowances.
- Maintains records related to sales.
- Tickets, arranges, and displays merchandise to promote sales.
- Estimates quantity and cost of merchandise required, such as paint or floor covering.
- Fits or assists customers in trying on merchandise.
- Greets customer.