DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-4121 Library Assistants, Clerical
Occupational Description:Compile records, sort, shelve, issue, and receive library materials such as books, electronic media, pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials. Excludes “Library Technicians” (25-4031).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||130||13||$13.12/hr||$1.70/hr||$8.10/hr||$8.90/hr||$13.88/hr||$17.06/hr||$18.53/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||3,140||$14.04/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||490||$16.49/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||470||$9.55/hr||N/A|
|Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan||150||$16.21/hr||N/A|
|Postal Service Clerks||70||$25.88/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||10||$17.84/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Library Assistants, Clerical
- Issues borrower's identification card according to established procedures.
- Delivers and retrieves items to and from departments by hand or push cart.
- Answers routine inquiries and refers patrons who need professional assistance to librarian.
- Repairs books, using mending tape and paste and brush, and places plastic covers on new books.
- Prepares address labels for books to be mailed, overdue notices, and duty schedules, using computer or typewriter.
- Operates and maintains audio-visual equipment and explains use of reference equipment to patrons.
- Places books in mailing container, affixes address label, and secures container with straps for mailing to blind library patrons.
- Selects substitute titles, following criteria, such as age, education, and interest when requested materials are unavailable.
- Inspects returned books for damage, verifies due-date, and computes and receives overdue fines.
- Reviews records, such as microfilm and issue cards, to determine title of overdue materials and to identify borrower.
- Prepares, stores, and retrieves classification and catalog information, lecture notes, or other documents related to document stored, using computer.
- Issues books to patrons and records or scans information on borrower's card.
- Locates library materials for patrons, such as books, periodicals, tape cassettes, Braille volumes, and pictures.
- Classifies and catalogs items according to contents and purpose.
- Maintains records of items received, stored, issued, and returned and files catalog cards according to system used.
- Sorts books, publications, and other items according to procedure and returns them to shelves, files, or other designated storage area.
- Drives bookmobile to specified locations following library services schedule and to garage for preventive maintenance and repairs.