DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-9051 Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
Occupational Description:Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, read, sort, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, stamp, fold, stuff, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||80||21||$14.84/hr||$0.62/hr||$10.86/hr||$12.34/hr||$13.97/hr||$17.33/hr||$20.51/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||2,590||$10.17/hr||N/A|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||850||$9.23/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||490||$16.49/hr||N/A|
|Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping||200||$17.06/hr||N/A|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||80||$15.45/hr||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||$21.15/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
- Inserts material for printing or addressing into loading rack on machine.
- Operates embossing machine or typewriter to make corrections, additions, and changes on address plates.
- Selects type of die size.
- Changes machine ribbon.
- Adjusts machine guides, rollers, and card insert prior to starting machine.
- Reads production order to determine type and size of items scheduled for printing and mailing.
- Places folded sheets into envelopes preparatory to mailing.
- Positions plates, stencils, or tapes in machine magazine.
- Makes adjustments to machine and inspects output for defects.
- Observes machine operation to detect evidence of malfunctions during production run.
- Checks ink level, adds ink, and fills paste reservoir.
- Removes printed material from machine, such as labeled articles, postmarked envelopes or tape, and folded sheets.
- Starts machine.
- Sorts letters or packages into sacks or bins, and places identifying tag on sack or bin, according to destination and type.
- Stamps date and time of receipt of incoming mail, and distributes and collects mail.
- Seals or opens envelopes by hand or machine.
- Affixes postage to packages or letter by hand, or stamps with postage meter, and dispatches mail.
- Records and maintains records of information such as charges and destination of insured, registered or c.o.d. packages.
- Weighs packages or letters, computes charges, and accepts payment, using weight scale and rate chart.
- Addresses packages or letters by hand, or using addressing machine, label, or stamp.
- Releases packages or letters to customer upon presentation of written notice or other identification.
- Stacks bundles of bulk printed matter for shipment, and loads and unloads from trucks and conveyors.
- Answers inquiries regarding shipping or mailing policies.
- Receives request for merchandise samples or promotional literature, prepares shipping slips, and mails samples or literature.
- Inspects wrapping, address, and appearance of outgoing package or letter for conformance to standards, and accuracy.
- Wraps packages or bundles by hand or using tying machine.