DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints. Excludes “Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers" (51-4121).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||80||32||$27.80/hr||$2.66/hr||$19.85/hr||$22.32/hr||$28.79/hr||$33.35/hr||$35.88/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand||2,520||$11.46/hr||N/A|
|Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters||600||$26.19/hr||N/A|
|Highway Maintenance Workers||300||$20.56/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Pipelayers
- Grades and levels base of trench, using tamping machine and hand tools.
- Checks slope, using carpenter's level or lasers.
- Digs trenches to desired or required depth by hand or using trenching tool.
- Taps and drills holes into pipe to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Covers pipe with earth or other materials.
- Lays out route of pipe, following written instructions or blueprints.
- Lays pipes in trenches and welds, cements, glues, or otherwise connects pieces together.