DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3041 Farm Equipment Mechanics
Occupational Description:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, dairy equipment, and irrigation systems. Excludes “Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists" (49-3031).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||140||36||$18.33/hr||$0.61/hr||$13.20/hr||$15.29/hr||$17.95/hr||$21.41/hr||$23.76/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Industrial Machinery Mechanics||430||$20.80/hr||N/A|
|Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines||180||$23.95/hr||N/A|
|Automotive Body and Related Repairers||160||$19.61/hr||N/A|
|Maintenance Workers, Machinery||40||$18.40/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||N/A||$17.27/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Farm Equipment Mechanics
- Repairs or replaces defective parts, using hand tools, milling and woodworking machines, lathes, welding equipment, grinders, or saws.
- Examines and listens to machines, motors, gas and diesel engines, and equipment to detect malfunctioning.
- Tests and replaces electrical components and wiring, using test meter, soldering equipment, and wire strippers.
- Records type and cause of defect on agricultural equipment.
- Drives truck to haul tools and equipment to work site.
- Fabricates new metal parts, using drill press, engine lathe, and other machine tools.
- Reads inspection reports and examines equipment to determine type and extent of defect.
- Reassembles, adjusts, and lubricates machines and equipment, using hand tools.
- Dismantles defective machines, using hand tools.
- Installs and repairs agricultural plumbing systems.
- Installs and maintains self-propelled irrigation system, using truck-mounted crane, wrenches, tube cutter, and pipe threader.