DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3093 Tire Repairers and Changers
Occupational Description:Repair and replace tires.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||N/A||N/A||$12.08/hr||$0.40/hr||$9.88/hr||$10.48/hr||$11.47/hr||$13.16/hr||$14.63/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||850||$9.23/hr||N/A|
|Parking Lot Attendants||40||$9.20/hr||N/A|
|Coin, Vending, and Amusement Machine Servicers and Repairers||N/A||$17.09/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tire Repairers and Changers
- Remounts wheel onto vehicle.
- Locates puncture in tubeless tire by visual inspection or by immersing inflated tire in water bath and observing air bubbles.
- Seals puncture in tubeless tire by inserting adhesive material and expanding rubber plug into puncture, using hand tools.
- Removes wheel from vehicle by hand or by use of power hoist.
- Separates tubed tire from wheel, using rubber mallet and metal bar or mechanical tire changer.
- Patches tube with adhesive rubber patch or seals rubber patch to tube, using hot vulcanizing plate.
- Unbolts wheel, using lug wrench.
- Inflates inner tube and immerses it in water to locate leak.
- Glues boot (tire patch) over rupture in tire casing, using rubber cement.
- Cleans sides of white wall tires.
- Buffs defective area of inner tube, using scraper.
- Raises vehicle, using hydraulic jack.
- Hammers required counterweights onto rim of wheel.
- Rotates tires to different positions on vehicle, using hand tools.
- Places wheel on balancing machine to determine counterweights required to balance wheel.
- Reassembles tire onto wheel.
- Removes inner tube from tire and inspects tire casing for defects, such as holes and tears.