DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-9021 Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
Occupational Description:Install or repair heating, central air conditioning, or refrigeration systems, including oil burners, hot-air furnaces, and heating stoves.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||N/A||87||$21.15/hr||$0.58/hr||$15.68/hr||$16.68/hr||$18.33/hr||$24.79/hr||$31.72/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics||140||$16.17/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||30||$16.75/hr||N/A|
|Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door||30||$27.39/hr||N/A|
|Locksmiths and Safe Repairers||10||$20.69/hr||N/A|
|Home Appliance Repairers||N/A||$19.38/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Lays out and connects electrical wiring between controls and equipment according to wiring diagram, using electrician's hand tools.
- Wraps pipes in insulation and secures it in place with cement or wire bands.
- Studies blueprints to determine configuration of heating or cooling equipment components.
- Inspects inoperative equipment to locate source of trouble.
- Discusses heating-cooling system malfunctions with users to isolate problems or to verify malfunctions have been corrected.
- Inspects and tests system to verify system compliance with plans and specifications and to detect malfunctions.
- Adjusts system controls to setting recommended by manufacturer to balance system, using hand tools.
- Installs auxiliary components to heating-cooling equipment, such as expansion and discharge valves, air ducts, pipes, blowers, dampers, flues and stokers, following blueprints.
- Tests pipe or tubing joints and connections for leaks, using pressure gauge or soap-and-water solution.
- Assembles, positions, and mounts heating or cooling equipment, following blueprints.
- Disassembles system and cleans and oils parts.
- Mounts compressor, condenser, and other components in specified location on frame, using hand tools and acetylene welding equipment.
- Replaces or adjusts defective or worn parts to repair system and reassembles system.
- Cuts, bends, threads, and connects pipe to functional components and water, power, or refrigeration system.
- Installs expansion and control valves, using acetylene torch and wrenches.
- Assembles structural and functional components, such as controls, switches, gauges, wiring harnesses, valves, pumps, compressors, condensers, cores, and pipes.
- Brazes or solders parts to repair defective joints and leaks.
- Drills holes and installs mounting brackets and hangers into floor and walls of building.
- Fabricates and assembles components and structural portions of refrigeration system, using hand tools, powered tools, and welding equipment.
- Keeps records of repairs and replacements made and causes of malfunctions.
- Reads blueprints to determine location, size, capacity, and type of components needed to build refrigeration system.
- Tests lines, components, and connections for leaks.
- Lays out reference points for installation of structural and functional components, using measuring instruments.
- Dismantles malfunctioning systems and tests components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Observes system operation, using gauges and instruments, and adjusts or replaces mechanisms and parts, according to specifications.
- Adjusts valves according to specifications and charges system with specified type of refrigerant.
- Lifts and aligns components into position, using hoist or block and tackle.
- Installs, connects, and adjusts thermostats, humidistats, and timers, using hand tools.
- Repairs or replaces defective equipment, components, or wiring.
- Joins pipes or tubing to equipment and to fuel, water, or refrigerant source, to form complete circuit.
- Tests electrical circuits and components for continuity, using electrical test equipment.
- Fabricates, assembles, and installs duct work and chassis parts, using portable metal-working tools and welding equipment.
- Cuts and drills holes in floors, walls, and roof to install equipment, using power saws and drills.
- Measures, cuts, threads, and bends pipe or tubing, using pipefitter's tools.
- Reassembles equipment and starts unit to test operation.