DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 7W- Central||50||20||$33.60/hr||$2.37/hr||$28.85/hr||$31.10/hr||$33.35/hr||$35.59/hr||$37.10/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||290||$18.68/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Millwrights
- Dismantles machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Assembles machines, and bolts, welds, rivets, or otherwise fastens them to foundation or other structures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Moves machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks.
- Connects power unit to machines or steam piping to equipment, and tests unit to evaluate its mechanical operation.
- Lays out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drills holes with power drill.
- Positions steel beams to support bedplates of machines and equipment, using blueprints and schematic drawings, to determine work procedures.
- Replaces defective parts of machine or adjusts clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Repairs and lubricates machines and equipment.
- Operates engine lathe to grind, file, and turn machine parts to dimensional specifications.
- Signals crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and aligns unit to centerline.
- Constructs foundation for machines, using hand tools and building materials such as wood, cement, and steel.
- Installs robot and modifies its program, using teach pendant.
- Shrink-fits bushings, sleeves, rings, liners, gears, and wheels to specified items, using portable gas heating equipment.
- Levels bedplate and establishes centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Inserts shims, adjusts tension on nuts and bolts, or positions parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Aligns machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Dismantles machinery and equipment for shipment to installation site, usually performing installation and maintenance work as part of team.
- Attaches moving parts and subassemblies to basic assembly unit, using hand tools and power tools.
- Assembles and installs equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Bolts parts, such as side and deck plates, jaw plates, and journals, to basic assembly unit.