DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
17-3011 Architectural and Civil Drafters
Occupational Description:Prepare detailed drawings of architectural and structural features of buildings or drawings and topographical relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, and public works. Use knowledge of building materials, engineering practices, and mathematics to complete drawings.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers||210||$14.64/hr||N/A|
|Civil Engineering Technicians||60||$26.77/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technicians||30||$21.57/hr||N/A|
|Surveying and Mapping Technicians||10||$22.06/hr||N/A|
|Commercial and Industrial Designers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Numerical Tool and Process Control Programmers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Architectural and Civil Drafters
- Draws rough and detailed scale plans, to scale, for foundations, buildings, and structures, according to specifications.
- Lays out schematics and wiring diagrams used to erect, install, and repair establishment cable and electrical systems, using computer equipment.
- Drafts and corrects topographical maps to represent geological stratigraphy, mineral deposits, and pipeline systems, using survey data and aerial photographs.
- Traces copies of plans and drawings, using transparent paper or cloth, ink, pencil, and standard drafting instruments for reproduction purposes.
- Builds landscape models, using data provided by landscape architect.
- Calculates heat loss and gain of buildings and structures to determine required equipment specifications, following standard procedures.
- Develops diagrams for construction, fabrication, and installation of equipment, structures, components, and systems, using field documents and specifications.
- Prepares colored drawings of landscape and interior designs for presentation to client.
- Lays out and plans interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, and draws charts, forms, and records, using computer assisted equipment.
- Draws maps, diagrams, and profiles, using cross-sections and surveys, to represent elevations, topographical contours, subsurface formations and structures.
- Identifies symbols located on topographical surveys to denote geological and geophysical formations or oil field installations.
- Reviews rough sketches, drawings, specifications, and other engineering data received from civil engineer.
- Calculates excavation tonnage and prepares graphs and fill-hauling diagrams used in earth-moving operations.
- Accompanies field survey crew to locate grading markers or to collect data required to revise construction drawings.
- Correlates, interprets, and modifies data obtained from topographical surveys, well logs, and geophysical prospecting reports.
- Computes and represents characteristics and dimensions of borehole, such as depth, degree, and direction of inclination.
- Finishes and duplicates drawings, according to required mediums and specifications for reproduction, using blueprinting, photographing, or other duplicating methods.
- Drafts plans and detailed drawings for structures, installations, and construction projects, such as highways, sewage disposal systems, and dikes.
- Plots boreholes for oil and gas wells from photographic subsurface survey recordings and other data, using computer assisted drafting equipment.