DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-2055 Surgical Technologists
Occupational Description:Assist in operations, under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. May help set up operating room, prepare and transport patients for surgery, adjust lights and equipment, pass instruments and other supplies to surgeons and surgeon's assistants, hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||20||1||$17.90/hr||$0.32/hr||$15.53/hr||$16.30/hr||$17.60/hr||$19.05/hr||$21.71/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Nonfarm Animal Caretakers||50||$8.68/hr||N/A|
|Radiologic Technologists and Technicians||30||$25.39/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Surgical Technologists
- Places equipment and supplies in operating room and arranges instruments, according to instruction.
- Puts dressings on patient following surgery.
- Assists team members to place and position patient on table.
- Aids team to don gowns and gloves.
- Scrubs arms and hands and dons gown and gloves.
- Maintain supply of fluids, such as plasma, saline, blood, and glucose for use during operation.
- Cleans operating room.
- Counts sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
- Washes and sterilizes equipment, using germicides and sterilizers.
- Hands instruments and supplies to surgeon, holds retractors and cuts sutures, and performs other tasks as directed by surgeon during operation.