DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
35-2012 Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
Occupational Description:Prepare and cook large quantities of food for institutions, such as schools, hospitals, or cafeterias.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||200||25||$12.22/hr||$0.27/hr||$9.69/hr||$10.55/hr||$11.97/hr||$13.86/hr||$15.24/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners||460||$10.12/hr||N/A|
|Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop||230||$8.44/hr||N/A|
|Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers||130||$8.69/hr||N/A|
|Food Servers, Nonrestaurant||120||$10.51/hr||N/A|
|Cooks, Fast Food||100||$8.83/hr||N/A|
|Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks||80||$8.98/hr||N/A|
|Cooks, Short Order||20||$9.73/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Cooks foodstuffs according to menu, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, and number of persons to be served.
- Cleans, cuts, and cooks meat, fish, and poultry.
- Requisitions food supplies, kitchen equipment and appliances, and other supplies and receives deliveries.
- Apportions and serves food to residents, employees, or patrons.
- Washes pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment.
- Directs activities of one or more workers who assist in preparing and serving meals.
- Compiles and maintains food cost records and accounts.
- Plans menus, taking advantage of foods in season and local availability.
- Bakes breads, rolls, and other pastries.
- Prepares and cooks vegetables, salads, dressings, and desserts.
- Cleans and inspects galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas for cleanliness and functional operation.