DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
39-5012 Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
Occupational Description:Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services. Excludes "Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance (39-5091), "Manicurists and Pedicurists" (39-5092), and "Skincare Specialists" (39-5094).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||140||20||$12.72/hr||$0.76/hr||$9.74/hr||$11.06/hr||$12.68/hr||$14.30/hr||$16.58/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Food Preparation Workers||140||$10.33/hr||N/A|
|Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
- Cuts, trims and shapes hair or hair pieces, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Attaches wig or hairpiece to model head and dresses wigs and hairpieces according to instructions, samples, sketches or photographs.
- Massages and treats scalp for hygienic and remedial purposes, using hands, fingers, or vibrating equipment.
- Analyzes patron's hair and other physical features or reads makeup instructions to determine and recommend beauty treatment.
- Updates and maintains customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Cleans, shapes, and polishes fingernails and toenails, using files and nail polish.
- Shapes and colors eyebrows or eyelashes and removes facial hair, using depilatory cream and tweezers.
- Recommends and applies cosmetics, lotions, and creams to patron to soften and lubricate skin and enhance and restore natural appearance.
- Administers therapeutic medication and advises patron to seek medical treatment for chronic or contagious scalp conditions.
- Combs, brushes, and sprays hair or wigs to set style.
- Shampoos, rinses, and dries hair and scalp or hair pieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Bleaches, dyes, or tints hair, using applicator or brush.
- Applies water, setting or waving solutions to hair and winds hair on curlers or rollers.