DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
39-9011 Child Care Workers
Occupational Description:Attend to children at schools, businesses, private households, and childcare institutions. Perform a variety of tasks, such as dressing, feeding, bathing, and overseeing play. Excludes "Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education" (25-2011) and "Teacher Assistants" (25-9041).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||60||28||$9.58/hr||$0.76/hr||$7.81/hr||$8.28/hr||$9.06/hr||$10.52/hr||$13.18/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Personal and Home Care Aides||1,690||$9.50/hr||N/A|
|Home Health Aides||1,580||$10.54/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Child Care Workers
- Cares for children in institutional setting, such as group homes, nursery schools, private businesses, or schools for the handicapped.
- Disciplines children and recommends or initiates other measures to control behavior, such as caring for own clothing and picking up toys and books.
- Assists in preparing food for children and serves meals and refreshments to children and regulates rest periods.
- Wheels handicapped children to classes or other areas of facility, secure in equipment, such as chairs and slings.
- Monitors children on life-support equipment to detect malfunctioning of equipment and calls for medical assistance when needed.
- Instructs children regarding desirable health and personal habits, such as eating, resting, and toilet habits.
- Places or hoists children into baths or pools.
- Organizes and participates in recreational activities, such as games.
- Reads to children, and teaches them simple painting, drawing, handwork, and songs.