DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
41-2021 Counter and Rental Clerks
Occupational Description:Receive orders, generally in person, for repairs, rentals, and services. May describe available options, compute cost, and accept payment. Excludes “Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop” (35-3022), “Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks” (43-4081), “Order Clerks” (43-4151), and “Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks” (43-4181).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||90||24||$9.80/hr||$0.68/hr||$7.68/hr||$8.14/hr||$8.89/hr||$10.85/hr||$15.30/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food||1,290||$8.73/hr||N/A|
|Customer Service Representatives||510||$13.31/hr||N/A|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||280||$13.11/hr||N/A|
|Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks||80||$8.98/hr||N/A|
|New Accounts Clerks||50||$14.35/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Counter and Rental Clerks
- Rents item or arranges for provision of service to customer.
- Receives, examines, and tags articles to be altered, cleaned, stored, or repaired.
- Prepares rental forms, obtaining customer signature and other information, such as required licenses.
- Computes charges based on rental rate.
- Explains rental fees and provides information about rented items, such as operation or description.
- Answers telephone and receives orders by phone.
- Collects deposit or payment or records credit charges.
- Inspects and adjusts rental items to meet needs of customer.
- Greets customers of agency that rents items, such as apparel, tools, and conveyances or that provide services, such as rug cleaning.
- Reserves items for requested time and keeps record of items rented.
- Recommends to customer items offered by rental facility that meet customer needs.