DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-6014 Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
Occupational Description:Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers. Excludes legal, medical, and executive secretaries (43-6011 through 43-6013).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||360||34||$14.40/hr||$0.69/hr||$8.49/hr||$11.25/hr||$15.05/hr||$17.46/hr||$18.95/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||1,010||$11.54/hr||N/A|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||280||$13.11/hr||N/A|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||120||$15.36/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||100||$16.07/hr||N/A|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||N/A||$23.06/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Answers telephone and gives information to callers, takes messages, or transfers calls to appropriate individuals.
- Answers routine correspondence.
- Schedules appointments.
- Takes dictation in shorthand or by machine and transcribes information.
- Files correspondence and other records.
- Arranges travel schedules and reservations.
- Makes copies of correspondence and other printed matter.
- Provides customer services such as, order placement and account information.
- Collects and disburses funds from cash account and keeps records.
- Prepares and mails checks.
- Orders and dispenses supplies.
- Mails newsletters, promotional material and other information.
- Compiles and types statistical reports, using typewriter or computer.
- Records and types minutes of meetings, using typewriter or computer.
- Compiles and maintains lists and records, using typewriter or computer.
- Greets and welcomes visitors, determines nature of business, and conducts visitors to employer or appropriate person.
- Locates and attaches appropriate file to incoming correspondence requiring reply.
- Maintains calendar and coordinates conferences and meetings.
- Composes and distributes meeting notes, correspondence, and reports.
- Opens incoming mail and routes mail to appropriate individuals.