DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3021 Automotive Body and Related Repairers
Occupational Description:Repair and refinish automotive vehicle bodies and straighten vehicle frames. Excludes “Painters, Transportation Equipment" (51-9122) and "Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers" (49-3022).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 8 - Southwest||90||23||$17.63/hr||$0.98/hr||$13.10/hr||$15.32/hr||$17.43/hr||$19.86/hr||$22.48/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Maintenance Workers, Machinery||20||$16.45/hr||N/A|
|Mechanical Door Repairers||N/A||$14.13/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Measures and marks vinyl material and cuts material to size for roof installation, using rule, straightedge, and hand shears.
- Soaks fiberglass matting in resin mixture and applies layers matting over repair area to specified thickness.
- Peels separating film from repair area and washes repaired surface with water.
- Cuts and tapes plastic separating film to outside repair area to avoid damaging surrounding surfaces during repair procedure.
- Reads specifications or confers with customer to determine custom modifications to alter appearance of vehicle.
- Removes upholstery, accessories, electrical window-and-seat-operating equipment, and trim to gain access to vehicle body and fenders.
- Cleans work area, using air hose to remove damaged material and to remove discarded fiberglass strips used in repair procedures.
- Adjusts or aligns headlights, wheels, and brake system.
- Examines vehicle to determine extent and type of damage.
- Mixes polyester resin and hardener to be used in restoring damaged area.
- Cuts away damaged fiberglass from automobile body, using air grinder.
- Removes damaged fenders and panels, using wrenches and cutting torch, and installs replacement parts, using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Fits and secures windows, vinyl roof, and metal trim to vehicle body, using caulking gun, adhesive brush, and mallet.
- Cuts opening in vehicle body for installation of customized windows, using templates, and power shears or chisel.
- Positions dolly block against surface of dented area and beats opposite surface to remove dents, using hammer.
- Straightens bent automobile or other vehicle frames, using pneumatic frame-straightening machine.
- Fills depressions with body filler and files, grinds, and sands repaired surfaces, using power tools and hand tools.
- Paints and sands repaired surface, using paint spraygun and motorized sander.