DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
11-9131 Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
Occupational Description:Plan, direct, or coordinate operational, administrative, management, and supportive services of a U.S. post office; or coordinate activities of workers engaged in postal and related work in assigned post office.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||50||0||$29.51/hr||$0.36/hr||$16.98/hr||$25.17/hr||$27.60/hr||$34.26/hr||$37.33/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Administrative Services Managers||170||$39.07/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers||170||$18.46/hr||N/A|
|Social and Community Service Managers||90||$27.84/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Organizes and supervises directly, or through subordinates, such activities as processing incoming and outgoing mail to ensure efficient service to patrons.
- Directs and coordinates operational, management, and supportive services of associate post offices within district area known as sectional center.
- Directs and coordinates operations of several sectional centers within district.
- Prepares and submits detailed and summary reports of post office activities to designated supervisors.
- Confers with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases, requisitions supplies, and disburses funds as specified by law.
- Selects, trains, and evaluates performance of employees and prepares work schedules.
- Negotiates labor disputes.
- Selects, trains, and terminates postmasters and managers of associate postal units.
- Resolves customer complaints and informs public of postal laws and regulations.