DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-2041 Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
Occupational Description:Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||310||50||$13.84/hr||$1.80/hr||$8.24/hr||$9.07/hr||$13.51/hr||$17.30/hr||$19.34/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Administers first-aid treatment and life support care to sick or injured persons in prehospital setting.
- Monitors patient's condition, using electrocardiograph.
- Assists treatment center personnel to obtain and record victim's vital statistics, and to administer emergency treatment.
- Communicates with treatment center personnel to arrange reception of victims and to receive instructions for further treatment.
- Maintains vehicles and medical and communication equipment, and replenishes first-aid equipment and supplies.
- Drives mobile intensive care unit to specified location, following instructions from emergency medical dispatcher.
- Assists treatment center personnel to obtain information relating to circumstances of emergency.
- Observes, records, and reports patient's condition, and reactions to drugs and treatment, to physician.
- Assists in removal and transport of victims to treatment center.
- Assesses nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.