DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
39-9032 Recreation Workers
Occupational Description:Conduct recreation activities with groups in public, private, or volunteer agencies or recreation facilities. Organize and promote activities, such as arts and crafts, sports, games, music, dramatics, social recreation, camping, and hobbies, taking into account the needs and interests of individual members.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||270||20||$11.65/hr||$0.69/hr||$8.00/hr||$8.82/hr||$10.62/hr||$13.30/hr||$15.56/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||690||$22.76/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Food Preparation and Serving Workers||570||$12.20/hr||N/A|
|Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education||230||$12.85/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Personal Service Workers||90||$15.96/hr||N/A|
|Social and Community Service Managers||80||$29.23/hr||N/A|
|Meeting and Convention Planners||20||$17.98/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Recreation Workers
- Organizes, leads, and promotes interest in facility activities, such as arts, crafts, sports, games, camping, and hobbies.
- Conducts recreational activities and instructs participants to develop skills in provided activities.
- Arranges for activity requirements, such as entertainment, and setting up equipment and decorations.
- Explains principles, techniques, and safety procedures of facility activities to participants and demonstrates use of material and equipment.
- Meets and collaborates with agency personnel, community organizations, and other professional personnel to plan balanced recreational programs for participants.
- Ascertains and interprets group interests, evaluates equipment and facilities, and adapts activities to meet participant needs.
- Assists management to resolve complaints.
- Administers first aid, according to prescribed procedures, or notifies emergency medical personnel when necessary.
- Meets with staff to discuss rules, regulations, and work-related problems.
- Completes and maintains time and attendance forms and inventory lists.
- Evaluates staff performance and records reflective information on performance evaluation forms.
- Schedules maintenance and use of facilities.
- Supervises and coordinates work activities of personnel, trains staff, and assigns duties.
- Tests and documents content of swimming pool water and schedules maintenance and use of facilities.
- Greets and introduces new arrivals to other guests, acquaints arrivals with facilities, and encourages group participation.
- Enforces rules and regulations of facility, maintains discipline, and ensures safety.
- Schedules facility activities and maintains record of programs.