DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
41-9031 Sales Engineers
Occupational Description:Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in engineering. Excludes "Engineers" (17-2011 through 17-2199) whose primary function is not marketing or sales.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||40||11||$35.27/hr||$2.40/hr||$21.64/hr||$25.40/hr||$37.34/hr||$43.62/hr||$47.07/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Industrial Production Managers||250||$38.56/hr||N/A|
|Amusement and Recreation Attendants||180||$8.97/hr||N/A|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products||130||$32.96/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Sales Engineers
- Calls on management representatives at commercial, industrial, and other establishments to convince prospective client to buy products or services offered.
- Arranges for trial installations of equipment.
- Reviews customer documents to develop and prepare cost estimates or projected production increases from use of proposed equipment or services.
- Designs and drafts variations of standard products in order to meet customer needs.
- Provides technical training to employees of client.
- Diagnoses problems with equipment installed.
- Assists in development of custom-made machinery.
- Draws up or proposes changes in equipment, processes, materials, or services resulting in cost reduction or improvement in customer operations.
- Provides technical services to clients relating to use, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists sales force in sale of company products.
- Demonstrates and explains product or service to customer representatives, such as engineers, architects, and other professionals.
- Draws up sales or service contract for products or services.