DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-9031 Home Appliance Repairers
Occupational Description:Repair, adjust, or install all types of electric or gas household appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, dryers, and ovens.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||50||12||$20.18/hr||$3.00/hr||$13.44/hr||$15.73/hr||$18.25/hr||$26.15/hr||$28.83/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers||70||$25.71/hr||N/A|
|Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics||50||$12.11/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||30||$16.45/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Home Appliance Repairers
- Observes and tests operation of appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, and dryers, and makes initial installation adjustments accordingly.
- Disassembles and re-installs existing kitchen cabinets and assembles and installs prefabricated kitchen cabinets in conjunction with appliance installation.
- Levels washing machines and connects hoses to water pipes, using plumbing and other hand tools.
- Lights and adjusts pilot lights on gas stoves and examines valves and burners for gas leakage and specified flame.
- Advises customers regarding use and care of appliance and provides them with emergency service number.
- Levels refrigerators, adjusts doors, and connects water lines to water pipes for ice makers and water dispensers, using hand tools.
- Measures, cuts, and threads pipe and connects it to feeder lines and equipment or appliance, using rule and hand tools.
- Assembles new or reconditioned appliances.
- Tests and examines pipelines and equipment to locate leaks and faulty connections and to determine pressure and flow of gas.
- Dismantles meters and regulators, and replaces defective pipes, thermocouples, thermostats, valves, and indicator spindles, using hand tools.