DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-6042 Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
Occupational Description:Operate or tend a variety of machines to join, decorate, reinforce, or finish shoes and shoe parts.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Sewing Machine Operators||N/A||$10.85/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Turns setscrew on needle bar and positions required number of needles in designated stitching machines.
- Draws thread through machine guide slots and needles.
- Lowers pressure foot or roller to secure parts and starts machine stitching, using hand, foot, or knee controls.
- Selects and places spools of thread or prewound bobbins into shuttles or onto spindles or loupers of stitching machines.
- Removes and examines shoe parts and design to verify conformance to specifications.
- Reads shoe part tags to identify appropriate instruction cassette and style and color of thread.
- Cuts excess thread or material from shoe part, using scissors or knife.
- Guides shoe into feeding mechanism that attaches, stitches, joins, or reinforces shoe parts, according to instructions.
- Selects and inserts specified cassettes into consoles of stitching machine to stitch decorative designs onto shoe parts.
- Aligns parts to be stitched, following seams, edges, or markings, and positions parts under needle.