DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-7011 Cabinetmakers and Bench Carpenters
Occupational Description:Cut, shape, and assemble wooden articles or set up and operate a variety of woodworking machines, such as power saws, jointers, and mortisers to surface, cut, or shape lumber or to fabricate parts for wood products. Excludes “Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders" (51-7040).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||20||1||$17.77/hr||$1.14/hr||$13.65/hr||$15.60/hr||$17.31/hr||$19.52/hr||$22.82/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters||30||$17.03/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Cabinetmakers and Bench Carpenters
- Sets up and operates machines, including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoners, molders, and shapers, to cut and shape woodstock.
- Sands and scrapes surfaces and joints of articles to prepare articles for finishing.
- Dips, brushes, or sprays assembled articles with protective or decorative materials, such as stain, varnish, or lacquer.
- Studies blueprints, drawings, and written specifications of articles to be constructed or repaired and plans sequence of performing such operations.
- Installs hardware, such as hinges, catches, and drawer pulls, using hand tools.
- Marks dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock, following blueprints, and matches lumber for color, grain, and texture.
- Trims component parts of joints to ensure snug fit, using hand tools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files.
- Glues, fits, and clamps parts and subassemblies together to form complete unit.
- Bores holes for insertion of screws or dowel by hand or using boring machine.
- Drives nails or other fasteners to joints of articles to prepare articles for finishing.