DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9123 Painting, Coating, and Decorating Workers
Occupational Description:Paint, coat, or decorate articles, such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather. Excludes ďArtists and Related Workers" (27-1010), "Designers" (27-1020), "Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators" (51-9151), and "Etchers and Engravers" (51-9194).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Painting, Coating, and Decorating Workers
- Applies coating, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surface, using spray gum, pen, or brush.
- Reads job order and inspects workpiece to determine work procedure and materials required.
- Rinses coated workpiece to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coat on workpiece.
- Examines finished surface of workpiece to verify conformance to specifications and retouches defective areas of surface.
- Drains or wipes workpieces to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coat on workpiece.
- Cleans and maintains tools and equipment, using solvent, brushes, and rags.
- Selects and mixes ingredients to prepare coating substance according to specifications, using paddle or mechanical mixer.
- Melts or heats coating material to specified temperature.
- Places coated workpiece in oven or dryer for specified time to dry or harden finish.
- Cuts out sections in surface of material to be inlaid with decorative pieces, using pattern and knife or scissors.
- Cleans surface of workpiece in preparation for coating, using cleaning fluid, solvent, brushes, scraper, steam, sandpaper, or cloth.
- Conceals blemishes in workpiece, such as nicks and dents, using filler, such as putty.
- Positions and glues decorative pieces in cutout section, following pattern.
- Immerses workpiece into coating material for specified time.